Dear BHS Juniors,
As many of you are aware, I have been meeting with your class president, Tyler Normile, about offering open campus for juniors starting this spring. Over the past two months we have met several times and have discussed different options. We both agreed, no matter what policy we create, it must include a shared voice from students, faculty, staff members and parents. Thank you for those who took the time to share your thoughts.
Through this thoughtful process, I am happy to say we have created a juniors open campus policy for Belmont High School. Below are the expectations.
Congratulations to the class of 2014!
Junior Open Campus Policy
Open campus is awarded to juniors who meet all of the following criteria in quarter 1 and quarter 2 in their junior year. Students must maintain the criteria in quarters 3 and 4 in order to keep their open campus privilege. Applications are located in the main office.
Must have the following criteria from quarter 1 and quarter 2 of their junior year:
- Be in good standing with attendance
- (no more than 3 unexcused tardies per class, 0 unexcused absence per term, 90 % attendance rate per term)
- Grade point average of a “C+” (quarter 1 and 2 of junior year)
- No discipline referrals for the year
- Must have 25 hours of community service completed
- No outstanding obligations
- Must possess a school ID
- Completed the open campus application and have it signed by parent/guardian
Since quarter one has nearly passed, students must meet the criteria only for quarter two. Next year’s class will have to meet the criteria for quarters one and two.
Privilege – a special right or advantage granted to one person or group.